Monday, November 19, 2012


"'People don't go to school to learn. They go to get good grades, which brings them to college, which brings them the high-paying job, which brings them happiness, so they think (qtd in Vatterott 19). 

Are educators creating learners or workers? As I wrestle with this concept of homework and its many facets, this is the question I keep coming back to, and it is the question that Vatterott proposes on page 15. I have two primary responses to that question. 

First, yes.  Ideally, education and educators should produce life-long learners. But under our current system, the institution of school cannot produce life-long learners in more than a few cases. Creating learners requires an environment in which learning is valued over all else, including grades, test scores, and class ranks.  A learner is driven by his or her own passion--he is not mandated to attend classes he hates with teachers he finds boring who use methods that don't connect with him. A learner seeks information and knowledge; they are not spoon-fed to him.  A learner often isn't valued the way a worker is. Imagining solutions is far different than doing one's part to implement them.

I wish I could produce learners. I hope I do in some small way.  But I'm realistic too.  The majority of the students enrolled in my classes is there because it is a requirement for graduation--not because they have a passion for writing and reading. I try to ignite what little intrinsic desire they may have, but how can I be sure?  What I think I "do", and what students "get" may be two very different things.  I would love to create a way for my colleagues to give me real feedback about what they see and hear if they would sit in my room for a day or two.  This kind of observation and feedback would be invaluable!

Second, what is the role, if any, of homework in the creation of learners?  I think that homework does have a role in learning, especially in a college course. If I didn't have students write essays outside of class, I don't believe they would be ready for college work the following year.  When I see my students for three hours and forty-five minutes in a normal week, there is no possible way for me to meet the demands of standards, colleges, and society if I don't require that some things be done outside of class. That said, I try hard not to assign work that isn't relevant. I always try to explain my purpose behind an assignment, no matter how small.  However, sometimes I assign work that we simply don't get to during class. For example, today I was lecturing about rhetoric. We got into a discussion about audience. That discussion was valuable, I think.  But that left little time to finish the notes. Instead I asked the kids to summarize three keys points from the reading for their notes for tomorrow. I expect them to do it, but I also know some will forget, choose not to do it, or something similar.  Is that bad?  Not necessarily, but I wouldn't trade our class discussion for it either.

Homework must have purpose. Homework should be differentiated when possible. But homework is NOT inherently bad. Neither, I believe, is holding kids, in my case, seniors, accountable for their work. I would expect that is helping them prepare for their future educations and employment. But, as a learner, I resolve to keep my options and eyes open. I want feedback because I know that's one of the best ways to learn. 

Sent from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. We battle a lot of tradition and culture within schools. With standards it is often very difficult to give students the leeway to freelance a bit. Which in turn gives you the challenge of developing the passion for reading and writing. I think it starts with us to model life long learning.

    You mentioned feedback being very important to you, it is equally important for student receiving their graded homework. It is detrimental for them to receive little to no feedback. It lowers the importance of homework to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A learner seeks information and knowledge; they are not spoon-fed to him." With so many standardized tests, extracurriculars, and the business of everyday life, it's hard to encourage a student to want to learn anything extra about things they are interested in. Who has time for that?! How do we allow them to do that while still meeting our standards? For example, do your students get to choose any of the books they read or the topics they write about? This would allow them to pursue their interests while still meeting your requirements.

    ReplyDelete